Sunday 22 March 2015

That Family Quilt

A quilt has come to me down the family line.  In January hubby made a compression hanger as a Christmas gift to attach the quilt to the wall. Click here to see how it is done.

Little is known about this quilt, but as my Aunt who quilts says 'it was too good to just stay folded up!'  Hence it came to me via my Aunt Nancy (mother's sister) who got if from . . .

Aunt Rainy (Lorraine Rath) handed down through the family, details now sadly lost in time.  We think it came from my Mother's Grandma on her Father's side (my Great Grandma M=Helen Elizabeth Sawyer) -the only quilt that came down that side of the family (we have others from the Rolka side). They lived in the original Derby, Conn homestead (Bradley family line via my mother's Aunt Katherine's marriage) which included a florist business from 1882.  Sadly the house and greenhouses are now gone.

It is unusual having a big pocket on the back, so my Aunt thinks it may have been hung between rooms instead of a door to keep out the drafts.  It seems a proper 'quilt' with many different and lovely fabrics [from old/special & loved clothes?] and exquisite stitching.

Mini me and I are delighted to have this to look at every morning upon waking (much better than seeing oneself in the mirror first thing - ha ha!).
And this January at last my grandparents furniture (out of storage) is repaired and right side up -- 



My first sizable crochet project is almost done - a poncho -- and just in time for the cool weather.  I have had compliments on the yarn/colour.  
Just needs sewing long ends together and
presto - poncho!
OK, not perfect, but I am still a crocheter with L plates!

And my church craft group has been busy making an adaptation of lavender bags.

and then Ruffle Scarves from Red Heart Sashay Metallic yarn (March).



Cannot sign off without the obligatory sunset photos - taken from my balcony. I used to import American goodies to my UK home, now I am importing English goodies to my US home; am off to enjoy a cup of Options hot chocolate - amazing what one misses!

1 comment:

  1. Stunning images E. Amazing quilt - and just think you now make your own to hand down the family line - make sure they are labeled and dated for future blog wirters!! Loving the sunset images - amazing view!

    ReplyDelete