Wednesday 16 November 2016

Tortoise in TrumpLand

Gopher Tortoise at Egmont Key
I have been asked about the US election - first Brexit, then Columbia vote on FARC peace accord and then . . . USA election. Stunned silence from me and many around me. The change candidate's super salesman's shameless pitch won. Change candidate - sound familiar?

Very very weird. I am beginning to feel like this gopher tortoise we saw on Egmont Key Sunday the 13th November (can I pull my head in? But note he moves faster than you would think).

Everyone is avoiding talking about it - I guess to avoid offence! Except for . . . at a public lecture 'Experts Review the 2016 Presidential Election.'  Well attended on the 10th November. Here's the key points I took away:
algae on beach
looks like string or spaghetti
how it feels here . . .


Lecture Panel Speakers:
  • Dr. Susan A. MacManus, Distinguished Professor, University of South Florida, 
  • Amy Hollyfield DeputyManaging Editor/Politics, Business, Tampa Bay Times and overseas PolitiFact.com, PunditFact.com and PolitiFact Florida.
The Key Points:
  • Belief that polls were inaccurate because people were too embarrassed by Trump's behavior to admit they were voting for him. Some in audience stated it was the media that made them embarrassed. 
  • Society gets the elections it deserves and the reality TV nastiness has now invaded society and politics. 
  • Issues were not relevant to the election outcome. People voted along party lines or anti-establishment/anti-party elite to the extent they overlooked Trump's behaviour. Clinton seen as party elite. 
  • Politics is about the story one can project to fit their cause not the facts - this is not new but its influence is exponential with social media - despite fact-checking evidence that disputes the story line. Voters overlook this evidence to support their held beliefs. 
  • Partly because of above, the millennials (e.g. Bernie supporters) and generation X did not come out to vote. 
  • Popular vote vs electoral college. Two party system not really in for a change; it was designed to provide a voice to the little states (ie to force politicians to go to wider audience not just the big population centers). 
beach erosion from hurricane Matthew
is the fabric of society eroding?

A British observation from HW - also mentioned by President Obama and some political commentators here in the USA.

I'm struck by the early footage we've seen of the Obama-Trump first meeting. He actually seems awed. I'm wondering if it's finally sunk in about what he's actually won.

It's mighty different being in administration to being in opposition. He was a campaigner who may now struggle with administration. She is a career administrator who struggled to campaign.

And my millennial cousin's son's blog 'Room for Dissent' here.


hum full already!?!
zipper ensures I don't lose anything
So putting my head in my shell to avoid this tangled mess (and chilly nights at 60 F or 15 C), I am back to crafting/quilting - cannot show you yet as they may be Christmas presents! But here's the bag I made for my canvass needlepoint and small door quilt I made for my neighbour and snuck onto her metal entrance (with magnets sewn into the back - clever hey) yesterday before she snowbirded south!

just a bit of door colour!












and for fun . . . seen on the beach at Egmont Key; do you think he made it or bought it? I think it is a Craig Cat Compact Boat!

No comments:

Post a Comment