Sunday 30 April 2017

Ta Da! What to do [in Feb.] when . . .

Ta-Da!  What to do when . . . celebration of your friends' birthdays gets moved up a month just before you are to hop on a plane?  Well, since I 'stumped' my Quirky friends after making a leaf bowl for a Secret Santa gift, I had the courage to get sewing again.  I was inspired to make beverage totes from Needle and Spatula's website (see below).

Of course mini me being mini me, once I read the comments on Needle and Spatula's website, I had a few modifications to make. And then I decided to further enhance the beverage tote with a square bottom avoiding the difficulties of sewing in the extra piece of round fabric. Voila is all I can say - I am pleased with the result!

The pattern is here and if you want my simplified version, just drop me a line in the comments at the end of this blog.

So then I got inspired to make up some tote bag charms to 'my own design.' Results below all with a seaside theme for a bit of fun. Hope they bring a smile to the recipients!


________________________________________________
Jumping ahead in the story: I should mention that the above items were packed in my suitcase for friends in the UK - and then lost by BA for 91/2 days!  Thought I had lost them for good, but fortunately all was well in the end. . . unrelated to the BA saga, the birthday celebrations were delayed/moved back to April, so the delay in this blog post.
________________________________________________

Having finished that off with time to spare before the plane and sharing pics with my sis, she wanted a beer beverage cover.  So out came the crochet hook and some spare bits of yarn . . . sis says it does keep the beer cool.




Sidenote completing the Birthday tale: Arriving in the UK, attention turned to hand quilting a cushion cover for a Quirky big 0 birthday. Brought it back to the beach to finish; VERY glad to report the US and UK mail delivered this one on time!!

Mid February it was time to pack up the sewing machine and do a bit of travelling.




First off to Gainsville, FL for the 20th Annual Sea Turtle Permit Holders Conference (yes a mouthful) in preparation for the start of the season this April.

Gulf water temperatures are warmer than usual at 70 F (21 C) end of February and lots of people out swimming - so won't be long now till the mama turtles come ashore.

But in the meantime, here's keeping the seaside theme with my new copper and enamel Bovano sculpture which now graces my living room wall - a Christmas gift and something I have had my eye on for almost 3 years.

Before we are off to the UK, must check out the dolphins and see several beautiful sunsets.








.



Next crafts: a trial in basket weaving (seriously!) and a C2C lap quilt for mini me (yes, making it in the heat of 32+C or over 90F heat of Florida). And may even a new small door quilt or two for Spring and Summer.

And soon those mama sea turtles will be arriving on our beaches!

2 comments:

  1. amazed you get time for any crafting with sunsets like those to watch!

    Loving my bottle holder - will be putting it to use today to ferry grape juice to chateau West. - more later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoop, look at those sunsets E!!! They lift my heart!! Good to chat Saturday, won't belong before you're here in person! Bottle bags and cushion were wonderful! C

    ReplyDelete