Saturday 5 June 2021

Evolution of Sue's Quilt

My sister's much loved childhood quilt (originally made by our maternal great grandmother) recently bit the dust - I did a wall hanging and a heart shaped pillow from the scraps (see post of 24 January 2020 and and 6 February 2021), but felt more is needed...



So I found a flying geese foundation pattern that feels like a 21st century update on this quilt, however, 

Even the wadding was falling apart!
. . . I did not appreciate just what is involved. Each of 40 squares has 16 tiny pieces of fabric ... so I started planning in January (after the idea formed from a Christmas gift quilting book) selecting the fabric and gathering supplies.

Then on to learning foundation piecing. Just follow the lines or so they say and work away steadily - so far I have done 11 blocks -two of which contain pieces of the old quilt.

Are you getting the idea? Watch this space (fingers crossed).

     


And lastly, the May TBBG basket weaving challenge around a utensil! Mine was an old potato masher.

No comments:

Post a Comment