Saturday 6 December 2014

Anhinga, Roseate & More


I've got big feet & an itch
Went bird watching with sis.  Saw the Anhinga and sis' much sought after Roseate -- pretty prehistoric looking we think.

Like my spoonbill?  I'm a Roseate














I'm the Anhinga
I spear my fish underwater with my pointed bill













Great Blue Heron just hang'in out













Next we found some greedy pelicans eagerly awaiting the fillet as the fishing boats came in at John's Pass . . . some appeared to take on more than they could swallow!

A nice tasty fish - see his tail hanging out of my mouth?
Should go down head first








Yum,, now just let me get it down





Whoops, stuck in my gullet (pink marks on bird to left)!
I am a brown pelican and one of only two pelican species to feed by diving for my food; I nest in trees.  My cousins, the white pelican, just arrived -- strange habits to fish by swishing the beak side to side and nesting on the ground!  No accounting for cousins!

A pair of black loons appeared diving for breakfast from the sea surface just before sis departed; a nice 'so long' for sis from our beach friends.

Finished the day tasting testing orange blossom and sea grape honey -- the latter very light and tasty.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing to have such interesting local wildlife....beats pigeons and starlings any day!

    ReplyDelete