Monday 29 September 2014

American Culture

LOL
Whilst out doing what my sister and I know as 'the mandatory plastic store visit' required after every long distance move, mini me found the perfect doormat.  Granted it is for Halloween (and yes Christmas goods are already appearing in the stores too), but seems an appropriate greeting to any workmen that might still grace our door!

After this find and our 5th store on a Saturday morning, life sized me needed a little sustenance to keep going.  For the first time ever (or at least in adult life), she happened into a Steak and Shake - and look what we found on the menu - all kinds of  milkshake flavours.  Yes, we tried one and mmm, mmmm good, although too large to finish.

Now my sense of humour must have changed whilst in Britain, as much of the American TV jokes seem lame, and the everyday conversation jokes leave me flat or have cultural references to things I missed whilst living abroad.  I must admit the whole way of conversing sometimes leaves me a bit puzzled.  A southern thing perhaps?

1980s relics
Found a few more 'antiques' in my storage goods -- these are off to a charity shop.

And spent the afternoon organising and putting together various bits and pieces.  Complicated enough for us to think we have kids and it is Christmas Eve.

Insert A into B . . .
what will it be?
And after 6 months, we finally have an iron and ironing board again!  And hubby got the old B&W 11" TV working again!

Before re-plastering began











With flowers from my sis when the furniture was delivered last week, it is starting to look like home.  I have pocket doors, which some people remove, but I love.

And my parents gave us a lovely gift of a new friend.
Shall we give him a name?
And am getting a positive response to starting a local crafting group after searching hi and low for one.  Yipee!

Up with the sunrise, I see frisky pelicans & today we will have 11 hours and 56 minutes of sun.

Sunrise:  7:23 am                                   High Tides:  3:11 am and 5:38 pm
Sunset:   7:19 pm                                   Low Tides: 10:39 am and 9:26 pm

Hear Sunday night that toilet is expected today, for installation Tuesday.  Not wanting to tempt fate, so here's hoping for a  gratefully received JIT (just-in-time) job or my sister's visit.

1 comment:

  1. I dread to think what trick or treat you will be offering passing tradesmen!!!

    Loving the turtle - he definitely deserves a name!!

    ReplyDelete